Reporting to the Managing Director, you are the driving force behind the profitability and operational excellence of GCO’s Meetings & Events business. You are accountable for achieving the delivery and profitability of the M & E business, make suggestions for strategic investments and resource allocations and undertake related commercial activities.
You inspire change and take charge of GCO Global’s M & E organization to the next level. The role combines hands on, entrepreneurial leadership with high level strategic and analytical thinking. You will have a creative and pragmatic mindset to explore and push new territories in a dynamic environment and consider that an opportunity to take ownership and lead the way.
The scope of the role covers 4 main areas:
- Operational Excellence;
- M & E Profitability;
- Commercial focus;
- Talent Development/Retention.
The BU Lead is responsible for 2 Team Leads, each managing a team of 10 Project Managers. He/She is also a member of the GCO Management Team.
Operational Excellence/M & E Profitability
- In line with strategic company goals, develop a BU-business plan for M & E that will sketch a picture on how to move ahead in the coming year in order to reach agreed targets and goals. Plan to include the unique business proposition for M & E, investments needed (including resource allocation);
- Ensure strategic alignment and resource allocation of the M & E business unit; manage the efficiency and profitability of M & E;
- Identifies key drivers of effective performance and develop (performance) targets with and in collaboration with key stakeholders;
- Work in close collaboration with the CFO to monitor financial objectives for projects, authorize budgets and oversee the BU total performance in contribution to GCO’s profitability;
- Provide clear and effective communication to key stakeholders across the organization - reporting of operational performance against KPIs and maintaining KPI’s within the M & E team.
- Strong focus on maintaining current business and expansion of new business / new clients;
- Leverages on relationships with key client stakeholders with a view to generate business growth (where appropriate, in partnership with the Account Director, key GCO stakeholders);
- Work with your team to ensure existing client relationships remain strong through post-event feedback, account-event reviews and regular communications (where appropriate, in collaboration with Account Director).
- Support the People Agenda through ensuring that staff receive the right level of training and development in line with their career path reinforced through performance feedback and coaching;
- Great Place to Work - ensures a strong level of employee engagement and satisfaction. End goal is to increase Talent retention.
*This new role is expected to evolve over time, depending on developments in the business / organization.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 8+ years of working experience leading and managing global meetings and events, preferably within the pharma/life sciences sector;
- 3 - 5 years proven track record of managing a high performing team;
- Creative mindset with an entrepreneurial affinity – able to serve as internal client advocate while balancing GCO’s business requirements and priorities;
- Clear communication and presentation skills, verbal and written;
- Superior stakeholder management skills;
- Communicating with clients and internal stakeholders with challenging issues in a positive manner;
- Capable of remaining calm while managing challenging issues and maintaining optimistic outlook;
- Dynamic, self-motivated, pro-active approach to taking on challenging assignments.
- Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills with the ability to impart this information to key stakeholders within/outside of GCO;
- Strong financial experience – budgeting, forecasting, interpreting financial data;
- Strong affinity in IT solutions/automation tools;
- Operates with a sense of ownership and accountability;
- High level of flexibility and visibility – role is based at GCO Headquarters in Sliedrecht;
- Fluent in oral and written English.